July 11, 2017 by Bronson Dant
Sure CrossFit can get people stronger and it looks like a pretty hard workout. How does it actually help you lose fat and get more toned?
Here are 5 reasons the CrossFit helps people lose fat.
- It’s a HIIT – High Intensity Interval Training is a training technique in which you give all-out, one hundred percent effort through quick, intense bursts of exercise, followed by short, sometimes active, recovery periods. This type of training gets and keeps your heart rate up and burns more fat in less time.
It has also shown to provide continued heart rate and fat burning stimulus even AFTER the workouts were completed.
- Resistance Training – If you didn’t know by now, the only way to change your body into a fat burning machine is to add more muscle. Muscle mass for most people is usually low which means the fat burning power of your metabolism is low.
The only way to add muscle is to lift weights or work against some kind of added resistance. Just running, biking, or hopping on the elliptical for hours on end will not cut it. This is not debatable folks. It’s a fact.
- Aerobic and Anaerobic Training – Along the muscle burns fat train of thought, CrossFit trains the body to burn fuel in two ways; Aerobically (think cardiovascular), and Anaerobically (think muscles working hard).
The ability to increase the efficiency of how your body uses fuel (protein, FAT, and carbs) is a big part of how CrossFit is so successful at helping people lose fat.
- Functional Movement – All the exercises you see in CrossFit have a purpose. The primary being to enable you to perform any movement, anytime, whenever life requires you to. In order to perform all the exercises, you have to increase your range of motion and ability to put your body into good safe positions.
As your range of motion and flexibility increase so does the amount of muscle you use when you move your body. If you are tight and can’t bend your legs properly then you can’t engage the full amount of muscles in your legs when you work on them. As that movement increases, so does the effectiveness of your training and the amount of fuel you burn when you workout.
- Emphasis on Nutrition – No other fitness program puts such a high priority on nutrition. Here is a quote from Greg Glassman the founder of CrossFit. “Combining the CrossFit training methodology with a diet of meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar brings “a jet stream of adaptation,””
If you want to burn fat quickly, then learning how to keep your fuel clean will do just that. Good nutrition is like putting high octane gas into car. The poor quality gas may cost less, but it will make your run like crap. Keep it clean and high quality and you will run like a high end sports car.
At Crossfit PCR we are lucky to have a Board Certified, State Licensed, Nutritionist on staff. We can provide all sorts of cool services based on your specific nutrition needs.