Well, here it is: I am passionate about exercise precisely because I know it has the power to transform a person’s life from:
- isolation to engagement
- depression to clarity
- anxiety to calm
- powerlessness to empowered
- learned helplessness to self-reliance
As an adult I’ve had to deal with the same stresses of family and work as anyone. It’s always a challenge to maintain a positive outlook when so many things want to drag you down.
What I’ve learned is that:
- I’m always better off when I’m exercising regularly
- My exercise experience is enhanced with a guide by my side
- I can move from helpless to hopeful in the matter of hours with a good workout
- People who deal with anxiety, depression, or other mood disorders, require physically and psychologically safe environments in order to progress
Truth is, there are thousands of athletes, trainers, and coaches who can guide you through an exercise regimen. But especially for those with psychological vulnerabilities, the coach-trainee relationship has to be a good fit. Set yourself up for success by choosing a coach who is skilled enough to ask more of you than you can of yourself while remaining sensitive to your particular needs.
Above all else…get moving. A life filled with anxiety or depression is a self-protective one…achieved through inaction and disengagement. By moving your body while anxious and depressed, you rewire your brain from being a victim of circumstances to being an agent of change. You can make positve progress even while you don’t feel like you can.
The coaches at Ellicott City Health and Fitness understand you and are invested in helping you improve in whatever way impacts you the most. Come check us out at https://echealthandfitness.com/no-sweat-intro