It’s a new year.
You want to lose weight. You’ve tried different things but it just won’t come off AND STAY OFF.
You search for solutions and get a list of options 5 pages long. How in the world do you figure out what to do?
Here are 3 things to do to help you lose the fat… for real.
- Eat More – I know this doesn’t sound right. Everything you’ve ever heard has said that fewer calories equal less weight. Well here’s the even more confusing fact. Fewer calories do equal less weight.
It doesn’t equal less fat.
Weight is not your enemy, fat is. Caloric deficit eating (cutting calories) in many cases reduces muscle more than fat. Have you ever heard the phrase “skinny fat”? This is a condition where someone may be super skinny and “look” healthy but in fact, they may have the same body fat percentage as someone who is 30 pounds overweight because they have no muscle mass on their body.
Find out what your Base Metabolic Rate (BMR) is. In many cases, the change you need to make is NOT in how much you’re eating, but in what you eat. Your BMR will give you the number of calories you should be eating a day to maintain your health and not starve your body.
Get on a good body composition scanner and get the real data that will help you figure this out http://echealthandfitness.com/inbody-scan/
When you cut calories, you’re telling your body to hold on to as much fuel as possible and store it as fat. Start eating good, balanced, nutritious meals. Don’t hold back.
- Get more weight training – Cardio addicts, those people that spend an hour on the elliptical or run on the treadmill all day in the “Fat Burn” zone… Ya, sorry but that only works to a point.
Here’s a little secret, the “Fat Burn” zone works best if there are muscles being used to do the actual fat burning.
What you haven’t been told is that cardio doesn’t burn fat. Muscle burns fat. The more muscle you have, the more fat you’ll burn. This means two things.
- You need to train with weight in order to build muscle mass. If you do this the right way you will burn fat while you do it. This is called “Winning”
- As you build muscle you will see your fat % drop and your workouts become more effective because there is more demand from your body to use the fat it has as fuel.
Cardio all you want, unless you are also doing weight training, you’re wasting your time.
- Don’t look for a short-term fix – Get over the fact that it will take time and it will take effort. The worst thing you can do is try to shortcut the process by using shakes, supplements, wraps, or who knows what else is out there that will help you “Lose weight in 60 days” or give you “3 secrets to getting a flatter stomach”.
You want the secrets. It’s only two things. Here they are for FREE.
- Maintain a diet of meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar.
- Regularly perform functional movements at high intensity, across broad modal and time domains
That’s it, folks. Eat the way nature intended, and move your body the way nature intended. Move yourself, move weight, move fast, move slow. Bottom line, get your muscles involved, get your heart rate up and do it regularly.
- Ask a professional for help – How do you make all this happen? If you’ve been trying to lose fat for a while or if you just decided that you want to make a change, how do you get started?
Ask for help. We specialize in nutrition counseling and fitness programs for fat loss, building strength, and increasing people’s overall fitness. It doesn’t matter where you come from or what experience you have, we can help.
Make a choice
Remember to make a choice based on what you feel will do the most for you in reaching your goals. Cost is important, but does it make sense to spend a little more and actually get better or spend less ad not go anywhere? Your goals are unique and your training plan should be able to adjust.
We’ve made available a 5 step guide that you can use to find a program that can help you make all these improvements. Go here to DOWNLOAD it now.